Computer Hardware & Software Guidelines
Please note that these are minimum requirements, and that our online courses will work more effectively with higher capabilities.
The following recommended specifications suit most our online programs:
- Processor: Student computers should have a Pentium IV processor, with a processor speed of at least 2 GHz.
- RAM: Computer memory is directly affected by how many programs are running at any given time. Running multiple applications at once slows a computer’s performance. Therefore, we recommend students have at least 2 GB of RAM installed.
- Sound: A working sound card and speakers will be required. Some programs also require a headset & microphone.
- Modem: We do however recommend using a high-speed connection such as DSL or a cable modem with speed of at least 1 MB.
- Disk Drive: A DVD-Rom drive is required for some software installation and program materials.
- Display: A LCD/Monitor with a minimum 1024 x 800 resolution is required. It is recommended that students have a monitor with at 1280 x 1024 or more.
- Printer: When you login to your online course(s) you will find your syllabi, articles and assignments. The majority of students find access to a printer imperative. While you may feel comfortable accessing documents online, having a hard copy of the course syllabus can prove useful. Also, having the ability to take notes and highlight main points in assigned readings can help you when studying and/or completing research projects.
- Disk Space: 2 GB of disk space is required for software installation. Certain software components are required for full functionality of our online programs. To run an automatic system check, visit our browser compatibility page.
- Firefox is recommended for viewing all online courses in Blackboard. Other Internet browsers include Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari. Download Firefox for free here.
- Microsoft Office is required.
- A Windows operating system is recommended, and our learning system works best Windows 7. Desktop versions of Vista and Windows 8 are also supported.
We also have a one-stop-shop plug-in library in our Online Community. If you would like to be part of our online community for distance learners.
Students will need access to the Internet to connect to the online courses. It is strongly recommended that students subscribe to a high-speed online service provider such as DSL or Cable Internet. The Internet connection is critical in viewing Tegrity video lectures in Blackboard.
Tegrity is the lecture capture software officially supported by the university. Tegrity is used to deliver videos for you to watch online, and is also available for student use when virtual presentations are required. Please visit the link below to see the most up to date information for computer configuration for using Tegrity.
Requirements for Viewing Tegrity
Know your “Internet speed”?
Here are the approximate speeds of the common types of Internet Service Providers:
- DSL internet – 768 kbps+ (from phone co.)
- Cable internet – 1,000-10,000+ kbps (from cable co.)
So… how fast is your connection?
Visit www.bandwidthplace.com/. Do the test and write down your Download and Upload speeds. Knowing this will help the help desk (and your instructor) assist you if you are having problems.